My Top 5 Whitney Houston Songs
Today marks the 6th year death anniversary of the late great legend , Whitney Houston. On February 11,2012 just one day shy of the Grammy Awards, Whitney was found in her room at the Beverly Hilton. Although the coroner's report showed that she had accidentally drowned in the bathtub, heart disease and cocaine usage were listed as contributing factors. In honor of the "Vocal Bible" and her extensive musical catalog, here are my top 5 Nippy songs in no particular order.
1. "I'm Every Woman" Originally sung by Chaka Khan, this song is all about woman empowerment. This song has become one of my daily affirmations. When Im having a bad day and feel like giving up, I like to hum this song as I think about all the women who have influenced my life and it also helps me channel my inner "bad assery." This song makes me feel like I can conquer the world.
2. "I Will Always Love You" Have you ever loved someone but somewhere during the relationship you realize that you really shouldn't be with that person because you have different views on life? Although it hurts, you still pray that the person receives everything their heart desires even if it isn't with you. For me this song represents growth, and understanding, and moving on after a failed relationship instead of being petty about!
3. "My Love Is Your Love" Now for some reason this song is deep to me. Whitney took me out with the beginning of the song "If tomorrow is judgment day and Im standing on the front line, and the Lord asked me what I did with my life, I will say I spent it with you." Lets break that down, we all will die some day and I was taught that you have will answer for what you did on Earth, can you image Whitney tell God she didn't use her gift of song to bless the world but instead she chose a man? (That is shade) This song is about having a love or bond for something or someone that is so strong that nothing could break it.
4. "I'm Your Baby Tonight" Produced by LA Reid & Babyface, this song is a mix of dance, funk and pop. Which was appropriate for the 1990s. I chose this song because it is an all around feel good song and I used to dance to this at my first job.
5. "I Have Nothing" Released as the third single from The Bodygaurd Soundtrack, "I Have Nothing focuses on a relationship that seems to be coming to an end but the woman just can't seem to let it it ago is desperately pleading to her man to stay because if he leaves she will have nothing!
I know Nippy had hits and hits some may say that some of these songs are not top 5 worthy, thats okay because these are my top 5!